Seasoning the Pot
- Rinse the pot with warm water
- Completely immerse the teapot and lid in large pot full of water
- Add the leaves of the type of tea you will be using with the pot. Use one teaspoon of tea per 8 ounces of water
- Slowly heat the water, leaves and teapot to 190 degrees (just below boiling) and keep it there for about one hour. Do not let the water boil.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for 6-8 hours
- Rinse the teapot well with warm water and repeat the process
- Allow the teapot to cool and rinse it extremely well with hot water
Cleaning your Yixing
Simply rinse your Yixing pot well with warm water after each use. Do NOT use any kind of soap and do not scour or scrub the pot. Over time, the pot will develop a rich patina. The surface may become glossier as the colors intensify. This is a natural and desirable transformation. .
What is Gongfu?
The Chinese way of making tea in a Yixing pot is referred to as gongfu, meaning something that requires great skill and discipline. The gongfu style of tea is a way of making, serving, and appreciating tea that started over 1000 years ago and still thrives today in China and Taiwan. Regarded as an artful practice, the goal of gongfu is to create a brew that tastes great and is satisfying to the soul. Learn more about Gongfu...