July 1st is National Gingersnap Day! We love any excuse to pair delicious baked goods with a cup of tea. Check out the recipe for these iced ginger snap cookies and pair it with your favorite tea! We recommend the Georgia Sunshine, Sweet Ginger Green, or White Mango Ginger. The icing for these cookies calls for our TeaSource Chai Spice Blend, which is a fantastic ingredient to add to your spice cabinet.
GINGER SNAPS (Makes 48)
1 cup sugar
¾ cup shortening
¼ cup molasses
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
2 cup all-purpose flour
Extra sugar to coat the cookies (about ½ cup)
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp TeaSource Chai Spice Blend
2-3 tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Beat together the sugar and shortening until fully incorporated.
- Add the egg, molasses, salt, ginger, cinnamon, an baking soda to your bowl. Beat together until smooth.
- Add the flour and beat together until fully incorporated.
- Roll the cookie dough into 1” balls and roll them until completely covered in sugar. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper leaving a 2” space between each ball, and bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool off on a wire rack. They must be COMPLETELY COOL before icing.
- Once cool, whisk all of the icing ingredients together in a small bowl. Start with less milk and add more if needed – you are looking for a smooth consistency that drizzles in a thin, steady stream back into the bowl.
- For icing, get a sheet of wax paper underneath your wire cooling rack to catch the drips. You can either use your whisk to drizzle ribbons of icing across the top (as pictured) or dip one side of the cookie into the bowl to coat one side.
- Allow cookies to sit on the drying rack until the icing has completely set. These cookies can be stored at room temperature.